Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Kanangra-Boyd National Park


Thursday 14/11/2013
We had an eventful day today. We went To the Kanangra Boyd National Park to see the Kanangra Wall. This is something I have been waiting 12 years to see.
It was a nice drive from Bathurst to Oberon and then out to the Park.
The Walls were as stunning as I expected them to be, in case you haven't figured it out yet I love rocks and rugged escarpments.
We did 3 walks from the car park a 10 minute one to the 2 lookouts to see the wall and gorge and then a walk to the Kalang Falls which involved climbing 413 steps down to the foot of the falls.
The scenery was stunning then had to climb back up all those steps and then because we are gluttons for punishment we did the Plateau Walk which took us across to the top of the rockface that is the Kanangra Wall with a small detour to see a cave called Dance Cave. 
In the early days the Pioneers used to meet and hold dances in the cave. (all I can say is they were keen). This walk was really pretty as we walked across heath covered plateau to another lookout down the valley towards Sydney, again the views were fantastic, 
on the down side this walk also had steps, 443 in so 433 out. Our knees were screaming by the time we got back so were really glad to sit and have lunch minus the fruit which I forgot to pack. Fred recons he will buy the winning Lottery Ticket the day I remember to pack a complete lunch. I manage to forget something most days.
It was then back in the truck to head for home. After studying the map I says to Fred why don't we go back via the fire trail instead of going back out the way we came in, it takes us back to Oberon a different way. Well lets put it this way, we definitely know the Mazda works well in 4wheel drive and I have been given the sack as navigator. We had to ford creeks and go up and down extremely steep and narrow tracks, crawl up and down water diversions and crawl over large piles of boulders and I am pretty sure at times we didn't have all 4 wheels on the ground. I am so annoyed with myself as I forgot to take photos as were we driving.

TODAY WAS AN ADVENTURE.

No comments:

Post a Comment